Monday 21 November 2011

Are you sure it should be that Colour?

Here is a post in response to the 100 word challenge for grown ups.

It is on the excellent Head's Office site.
You can find that here...

http://www.theheadsoffice.co.uk/




Also worth a look is Julia's place site...
http://jfb57.wordpress.com/ 

Here is the post...


Tiny.
Earth looks tiny as I glide across the starry heavens and the glare of a billion galaxies form my winking, knowing backdrop. No-one alive has ever seen me- I came up here so long, long ago. Now I watch. I watch you rise and rise like we never did. However, progress costs. Your world- are you sure it should be that colour?
I shudder at muddy brown spreading across lakes and oceans once blue. Lurking misty grey taints what I remember as pure, clear air. There are smears of viscous and vicious black across the ancient snows that were once pearl white. Verdant grass no longer gleams in morning dew because it lies crushed under choking ribbons of tar.  I moan as my tiny craft pirouettes across your sky but I can do nothing to make you hear, to make you understand.
Tiny.
All you’ve got.
Are you sure it should be that colour?



8 comments:

  1. This is beautifully written and shocking at the same time. I can't help tinking it might be a prediction of the future. I think I'd rather be long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really thought provoking, It's very beautiful and very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness Stephen - that really does take the biscuit, as they say. Great entry, and amazing use of the prompt. Beautifully done - and yes, very sad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the supportive comments- I am pleased you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness Stephen what a wonderful last entry. This is so different and as others have said quite sad. The prompt fits very well in with all the very creative descriptions of the world as it was.

    BTW - the challenge is now on Julia's Place. The children's is on the Head's Office.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Julia. I really enjoyed making a contribution. I hope to read the other entries and have a o at the next prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stephen - hope you won't mind - I seriously 'borrowed' your wonderful piece for the next challenge!

    Do have a look at it, if you have a moment.

    And please feel free to shout at me!

    http://lorely-writingfromtheedge.blogspot.com/2011/11/authorised-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comment on my blog. Also for not shouting!!
    Glad you picked up on the hierarchy of deity. No one else has mentioned that...

    ReplyDelete