Thursday 9 February 2012

How many?

We looked out across the garden, covered as it was in thick snow. Birds of about 10 species were flitting around the feeders. My son, who was watching with me, said "How many feeders have you got?"

So, we counted up the seed feeders, fat ball dispensers, nut and suet feeders, whisks and the shed roof. There were 13.

I was dumbfounded, especially as I was hankering after a caged ground feeder at the time. It can get quite obsessive, thinking of the next food you'd like to provide, the next species to attract. I have slowly got drawn into this and that's why there's now a bird buffet at the back of our garden.

But, as I watched (now rather guiltily) I thought of the number of species. A year ago, there was nothing. On Sunday, I was watching up to 8 different types at a time and I saw about 12 overall. As long as no-one was in the garden, there was a constant stream of visitors. Most of all, it makes me happy and does the birds good.

I'd better start saving...
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone on O2

No comments:

Post a Comment